Thursday 14 April 2011

Billy Chassis - Stage 4


















The outside cranks were now fitted, observing the 'quartering' rule of having the right hand side lead by one quarter of a revolution.

As my model is to run on 45mm gauge (G Scale), the wheels were adjusted accordingly and secured onto the axles using the wheel grub screws.

Coupling rods fitted.  These took a while for the wheels to rotate easily without any tight spots.  A little filing with a small needle file was required to slightly elongate the coupling rod holes.

The cylinders were then fitted to each side, leaving the covers offset to the outside of each chest.  This will allow for the adjustment of the slide valves later in the build.

As I already had the 'Boiler Kit - HBK3', it is recommended that the superheater is fitted to the steam inlet pipe on each cylinder.

The connecting rods were now fitted to the piston rods of each cylinder, resulting in a slight resistance when the wheels were rotated.

Next stage, the Walschaerts type valve gear.

1 comment:

  1. I'm watching with interest - I hadn't realised you could 'build your own' so to speak. Can't wait to see the finished result, although it's something I don't think I'll ever do myself! :)

    ReplyDelete